Can I use ASR-1 as the general Bluetooth LE module?

To connect my device to some smartphones or other standard Bluetooth devices, can I use ASR-1 as a general BTLE module? Or do I need to have another generic Bluetooth module and antenna separately from the ASR-1?
Thanks in advance.
// hiro

Hi, Hiro!

We’re sorry, but the ASR-1 can’t be used as a general BLTE module. The ASR-1 is designed to provide secure communications from the chip through BTLE to the Afero Cloud via a local Afero Dynamic Hub device (currently an Android or iOS device, but there will be other hub devices in the future.)

The cool thing about this is that as a developer, you don’t need to worry about any of the details of the communication protocols or encryption or BTLE or anything - all you need to worry about is what Attributes you want to send to the Cloud API, and you’re done.

However, there’s no interface to the ASR-1 that would allow you to send data anywhere else. You would need another Bluetooth module to do general BTLE communication between your device and others You would need a separate generic BTLE module for that and manage that communication yourself.

If you are be able to share more information on your particular use case, we can try to provide more specific assistance.

I agree with you that it would be useful to be able to do both Afero-specific and generic BTLE communication in a single module to simplify design. It’s not something I think we’re going to be able to offer in the near future, but we’ll keep it in mind and if it’s possible we could do this in a later revision of the ASR, we’ll certainly see what we can do!

Thank you so much, and please let us know if you have any more questions, we’re happy to help!

Joe

Joe,

Thank you for your reply. I’ll look for some other Bluetooth module for my device.

Thanx a lot.

// hiro